....to prove to myself that I'm not a fool. It was inevitable that I would eventually go back to school to complete my Master's degree. If I choose to continue to pursue Education (which I do) then I must enroll in another 10 courses and a teaching practicum. Previously, I had taken a few courses for Special Education in the spring of 2009. However, I didn't continue with them. I had realized while working at my current job that my desire to become a Sped teacher had quickly dwindled.
Needless to say, I love writing. Also, I think that my love of writing has really taken shape here in my blog posts. I've received many compliments on how much people enjoy reading my writing, and I've even been told that I should write a book. I haven't always been the best writer or even enjoyed writing at all. My love of writing started to become prominent during my first year of college. I enjoyed writing papers and expressing my thoughts, however I wasn't very fond of being required to write 10 pages on an assigned topic. I would much rather write for fun. One of the reasons that I started this blog was so I was able to document our lives as newlyweds, but more importantly to brush up on my writing. You may be thinking does that mean that I want to become an English teacher? Well, No.
After much deliberation I decided to major in Reading. I have various options in this major. I could take a position as a literacy coach, reading specialist, title one teacher, or a reading or Language Arts teacher. To be completely honest I'm not the least bit thrilled to be starting back to school again. Completing my master's at this point in my life will now be an even bigger challenge for me than previous years. I not only have to worry about working full time and going to school, but on top of that I now have a husband, dog, and house to care for. At least I don't have any children yet! For now, I'm only tackling one course due to the fact that I'm also studying for the GRE's. It is crucial that I score at least a 900 on that exam to ensure admission into the Reading M.Ed. program at Bridgewater.
I attended my first class this past Monday. The course is titled Literacy Instruction in Elementary Education. The professor was incredibly friendly and assured us that she is very lenient with assignments. She explained to us that she understands life gets in the way sometimes and balancing work and school isn't always the easiest thing to do. It seems like it will be an interesting course. Wish me luck!
It scares me how much we are alike... I'm not planning on becoming a reading teacher but I absolutely love writing and I always have. Yet I hate to write papers because I hate having specific topics to write about. It's like my mind goes blank. Give me some paper (or a blog) and tell me to write what I want... And the thoughts keep flowing!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your classes :)
My mom is a reading specialist & she loves it! She only teaches a few kids at a time so she is not in charge of an entire classroom. Unfortunately in her district they fired all the specialists & she is one of the only ones left. If you need any info on it please let me know!
ReplyDelete