Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Letter to Tucker

Tucker was cremated this afternoon at Angel View Pet Cemetery located in Middleboro. At this facility you have the option of holding a memorial service for your pet. In other words, its similar to a wake for people but its for pets. My dad mentioned that he really wanted a private service; so we obliged. I suppose it was a good idea due to the fact that we weren't present on Christmas morning when he was put down.  I was the first one to arrive there. It was just him and I in the room alone for the first five minutes because nobody had gotten there yet.  My mom was shocked when I told her.. she said that I was very brave for going in alone. He looked so peaceful just lying there, although some parts of him looked much different (that was probably from being in a freezer for a week and a half) he still looked like the same dog I was always knew and loved. The staff at the Angel View Pet Cemetery were so helpful and supportive throughout this difficult time. They told us that we could put anything in with him for the cremation so we decided to put pictures of us and his favorite toy duck in with him. Finally, I decided to write him a letter in order to start coming to terms with closure.



                                                                                   Tucky, 

Mommy can’t believe that she has to say goodbye to her first baby today. I was hoping that this day wouldn’t come for quite some time, but here we are. I can’t even begin to describe the impact that you’ve had on my life during your time here on Earth. You taught me that unconditional love is something that nobody should take for granted. The joy and happiness that you brought to our family is something that will stay with us throughout our lives.

Most importantly, I will never forget all the memories we shared together. I remember the summer days that I was tanning in the sun while you, of course, were basking in the shade. I remember the Blizzard of 2005 which dumped three feet of snow in our back yard. There is a picture of you and I on top of an enormous snow bank. Most recently, I remember taking pictures with you on my wedding day. I was frantic that morning because you were no where to be found, but you had just gone for a walk with Tia.

Tucky, you were one of a kind. You always seemed to make Mommy smile one way or another. The way in which you loved people was different from any dog that I’ve ever met. You were unique in a way that is almost indescribable. You loved every single person that would walk into our home. You were always so welcoming to all our guests even if you would sometimes begin by barking at them. Everyone that had the pleasure of meeting you instantly fell in love. They had no choice.

I don’t want to continue life without you, but I know that I must. Mommy will be fine. Don’t worry about me. I have Colty to keep me company now. Cory thinks that God brought Colty to us because he knew you were sick. I believe that he’s right.

Mommy is going to miss you boy. I will never forget you. I promise. I know that one day we will reunite again in heaven and when we do you we will never be parted again. You may be gone, but you will never absent from my heart.

Mommy loves you more than you will ever know puppa.

There will never be another “Mommy’s Couch”

Love always,

Mommy

He was just cremated a few hours ago and I already have a small box with his ashes on the side table in my living room. I'm planning on making a small memorial complete with pictures my letter and of course his ashes.

2 comments: