Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A sign from heaven

 Overall this past long weekend was pretty uneventful with the exception of Saturday afternoon. That afternoon I had made tentative plans with my aunt to bring Colt to Petco. Ever since Tucker's death Saturdays have been especially difficult for her due to the fact that she would take him for a long walk and spend most of the afternoon with him. I know she is lonely so I'm trying my best to include her in activities as much as I can. My original plan was to take him to Petco in Plymouth, but on a whim I decided to take him to Pet Smart which was a couple exits up from Petco.

When we first arrived at Petsmart Colt was petrified and literally shaking like a leaf. I opened the back door of the car to get him out and he immediately jumped right back in. I was finally able to drag him into the store, but he was shaking uncontrollably by his point. As we were browsing the aisles we came across one of the dog trainers. She instantly commented on how handsome Colt was. She asked me a couple of questions about his breed and what organization I had adopted him from. She could tell that he was very anxious and scared about being there. After talking briefly with her she suggested that we trying training. Cory and I have discussed putting him in training and we recently met with a private dog trainer here in Middleboro. I spoke with the head trainer about the best way to help Colt and she assured me that training would help tremendously. It was great to hear that my dog might actually overcome his anxiety. Colt starts beginner dog training classes February 6th at 2:30pm. I can't wait!

I suppose I should probably begin to explain the relevance of this blog title. Well.. after we had finished talking to the dog trainer we proceeded to browse the aisles. When suddenly, I noticed a dog about 100 feet in front of us that looked an awful lot like Tucker. I mentioned it to my aunt but we both just brushed it off because we figured it would be too painful to get a closer look. After about a half hour of dragging Colt around the store we decided it was time to checkout. At the checkout I saw that same dog. This time I felt something come over me and I knew I just had to get a closer look. Colt and I confidently walked up to the dog and his owners and introduced ourselves. I was in complete and utter shock over how much this dog looked like Tuck. I felt like I was looking straight at my baby. This dog was literally his identical twin. By this time my aunt had joined me in amazement at the sight of this dog. Exactly three weeks prior our sweet baby was taken from us too soon and it was almost as if he was still here with us.  We politely asked the owners if we could take a picture of their dog because we knew nobody would believe us. I could tell the owners were a little freaked out about how much we were obsessing over their dog. We showed them a picture of our Tuck and they were just as shocked as we were over their resemblance.

 Honestly this is the first time since Tuck's death that I haven't felt so empty inside. I feel like this was some sort of closure for me. This might sound a tad bit absurd but I truly think that this dog was a sign from heaven. My aunt thinks that we were meant to run into this dog so that Tuck was able tell us that everything was going to be okay and that he was up in heaven. Maybe it was a coincidence. I say it was fate. What were the odds that we would be there at the same day, time, and store as this dog? Especially exactly three weeks after Tucker's death, and on top of that the dog's name was Jack (my Dad's name). I'm content at this very moment because I finally got my wish...to see him one last time happy, healthy, and jumping around. That is how I'll always remember him.

Here is the video of "Jack" Tucker's Twin

2 comments:

  1. Awww Kym!! What an awesome story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kym this is such a sweet story! I totally believe in signs and fate, so I really think that was Tucker trying to tell you something. I'm glad it's helping you heal a little bit!

    ReplyDelete