Thursday, May 5, 2011

Approaching 26....

I will be 26 this Saturday and as you can probably already guess I'm not exactly thrilled about turning another year older. But, as they say age is just a number right? I don't feel old...yet. :) To be perfectly honest, I have made some great accomplishments thus far in my life, however I have also made my share of mistakes. I have to say that I'm fairly content where I am right now in my life. I mean I have no reason not to be happy I have a wonderful husband, a nice home, and an amazing dog. There is only one important piece of the puzzle missing from this scenario...a career. You might say, "I thought you already had a job." Well yes I have a job but not necessarily a career.

Continuously changing my major throughout college effected the outcome of my life tremendously. By the time I graduated college in 2008 I was only one year behind the typical four-year college program. My intentions after college were very simple: attend grad school somewhere down south for speech pathology. Well, that plan was quickly foiled when Cory proposed in July 2008. I now had a tough decision to make. Go to grad school to pursue my dream or stay? How could I flee the state and leave my new fiance behind? Well I of course decided that I couldn't so I needed to come up with something quickly. I ended up taking a job that summer as a speech assistant helping mentally challenged adults.

In the fall of 2008, in order to prevent myself from getting "rusty," I decided to take a few courses in SPED at Bridgewater. The courses that I took that semester really shaped my decision to become a teacher. I was disappointed that I was not able to pursue speech pathology, but all the schools around this area were just not affordable enough for me. Once I figured out my new game plan I took a job as a teaching assistant at my old high school to gain some experience and insight into education.

If you had asked me 10 years ago where I saw myself at the tender age of 26 my description would probably be very similar to my life now with the exception of my job. Its not that I'm ashamed of my job as a teaching assistant its just that I thought I would be making more money than what I am at my age, and I also thought I would of had a teaching job by now. After resenting the first part of my 20's I'm finally getting my life on track. In the Fall of 2011, I will be starting a post bachelor program in Special Education. In addition to student teaching I will also need 10 credits of courses in SPED and then I will have an initial license in sped! I'm hoping that in the next year I can say I'm confident in all the decisions that I have made in my life.

Cheers to 26 years and many more to come!

Leaving you all with this picture of me on my 18th birthday. Throwback..for sure. Geez..I look like a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment