Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sick Puppy

My poor baby boy is really sick. It all started about 2 weeks ago when Cory and I left for work one morning and of course left Colt home by himself. When I arrived home I noticed that a plastic cup had been chewed up into pieces and scattered all over our guest bedroom. I'm almost always in a rush in the morning so I left my paper plate and plastic cup there from my breakfast. Guess that that was a bad mistake on my part because Colt thought my plate and cup were his snack. Later on that day Cory found three piles of dried up vomit upstairs so he was assuming that he had ingested some of the plastic cup. A few days went by and he seemed fine until Wednesday afternoon when he started throwing up again and again on Sunday! We had also brought him to his last training session that weekend and the dog trainer noticed that Colt had very loose bowels and blood in his stool. We were really worried to hear of their discovery and we were contemplating brining him to a 24 hour animal hospital that Sunday. I immediately called the vet and they assured me that if he was acting himself and keeping his water down that we could wait until that Monday to bring him in.

Cory brought him in last Monday and they told him that they were sure his food change was the cause of his illness. They gave him fluids and an acid reducer and sent him home. Cory went to Petco the very next day and picked up the previous type of food we were feeding him. He seemed like he was back to his normal self after a few days and everything seemed to be fine health wise with him.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon..Colt throws up again! Fantastic....just when we thought he was all better. Nope. He was up all night last night with the runs and dry heaving. He was not comfortable at all and you could just tell that he just wasn't himself. I called out of work today and brought him to the Vet. He has been there since 8 this morning and they are still running tests on him. They are not positive what is causing this but they found that his blood cell count is low and that he is dehydrated. The vet told me that she wants to see if she can get a stool sample from him and she is going to get an x-ray of his abdomen to rule out any foreign objects that may be causing his upset. I'm so worried about him. And of course during this whole situation all I can think about is Tucker and the incident that we faced with him. I'm praying that he will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment